Friday, May 28, 2010

Steampunk Con Costume

So, I've been getting into the Con Circuit again lately.  I enjoy it, I like the people, the costumes, and the activities.  I feel at home there.  I've already made arrangements to be at Dragon Con this year, which is the biggest convention in this part of the country.  I've been there before, and I had a blast.  Looking forward to another good year!

So anyway, one of the big trends in con life these days is the reemergence of the steam punk genre.  I've always had a soft spot for that imagery and style, though I've never actively seeked it out.  However, after reading books like Boneshaker and reading comics like Girl Genius, I have to admit that I really like seeing the imagery realized in physical form.  Steam Punk crossovers are pretty awesome too, as evidenced by the Steam Punk X-Men:


Since Dragon Con has a large focus on guest costuming, I'm leaning heavily towards putting together a Steam Punk costume for the con.  Most guys go for the gentleman type outfit, with the huge top hats , vests, dress slacks, and fancy weaponry.  I think it's a bit overdone, personally.  I've got more of the 'Airship Mechanic' in mind.  Newsboy cap, loose button down shirt, rolled up to the elbows, canvas slacks with suspenders, a thick work belt, and some well worn in work boots.

I think the centerpiece of the outfit would be the giant steam-punked pipe wrench concept I've got floating around the back of my mind.  I have to find a 3-4 foot long pipe wrench at a local pawn shop (the older the better), then trick it out.  At the very least, a piston connecting the top slide to the shaft, and maybe some gears tacked on for show.  It would be very heavy, so a carry strap or sling would be pretty much required.  I don't think I have the technical skill to do much more than that.  Either way, I need to sketch out my ideas first, then see about a parts list and required tools.

The other cornerstone of my costume is the belt.  The last time Dad was cleaning out his junk piles, he found an old leather belt he made years ago.  Back in his wreck diving days, he used to pull brass fixtures off of wrecks and make stuff with them.  In one case, he pulled a brass nameplate off of a boiler.  He cleaned and polished it, then welded on the hardware behind it to make it into a fully functional belt.  I checked last night, and it's just about my size (but I need to lose another inch or two around my waste to really make it fit right).  Either way, it's an authentic brass nameplate off of a massive ship boiler.  It's absolutely perfect for a steampunk costume, especially a mechanics costume.


After doing a little more research on line, and looking at examples of other quality steam punk gear out there (Thanks Melissa!), I think I need to make some sort of gauntlet for my left hand...  i.e. simulate a mechanical hand to replace one lost in some accident.  Maybe it's because I've been reading Berserk lately, but the idea of a mechanical hand strapped onto my left arm does sound pretty rocking right now.  Of course, I have no idea how to do that yet, so this one may have to wait a bit.  I want to get the Wrench done first, then I'll go from there.

So yeah... I'll try and track my progress here.  I've still got 3 months to put something together, but I've got momentum behind it right now, so I expect to move quickly on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment